So you think you've had goulash? Maybe. Try another recipe. There is always a new way to make it, some more 'official' than others. Experiment!
Makes approximately 1.5 quarts
- ¼ cup salad oil
- 1 cup sliced onions
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 2 lbs. stew meat
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped peppers (red or green)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 ½ cups water or beef stock
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- In a stockpot, heat oil and brown the meat. Remove meat from the pan when done and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté onions, garlic, peppers, and carrots just until partially cooked.
- Add the meat back into the pot along with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook for 2 hours. The liquid will reduce and the stew will thicken as it cooks.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Want to make it sweeter? Add more brown sugar.