- 3 ounces, medium to dark roast coffee, finely ground
- 2 3/4 cups, Vodka, 80 proof
- 3/4 cups, Brandy, 80 proof
- 4 teaspoons, Good quality instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon, Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon, Chocolate extract
- 1 teaspoon, Glycerin (at most pharmacies)
- 1 drop, Red food colouring (optional)
- 7/8 cups, Distilled water
- 1--3/4 cups, Granulated sugar
Place the ground coffee in a large wide-mouthed glass bottle. Add the vodka and the brandy. Allow the mixture to sit approximately 18 to 20 hours. Use coffee filters to remove the coffee from the alcohol -- discard the spent grounds. Add the instant coffee, the extracts, the glycerin, and the food colour to the mixture. Set aside.
In a scrupulously clean pan, boil the water. Add the sugar, stirring rapidly. When the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Allow the sugar syrup to return to room temperature.
Add the syrup to the alcohol mixture. Store in a tightly capped glass bottle. The liqueur is better when aged for 3 or more months. It can be spiced with 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, 1 teaspoon marjoram, 2 teaspoons chopped angelica root.